This country cornbread incorporates black beans to add some sustenance to a quick and easy recipe that can be thrown together last minute, or in the morning before work. It is a versatile batter that can be baked in a cake pan, loaf pan or muffins to grab and go for the rest of the week. It is also a favourite in my house to make for cornbread dressing for a holiday dinner.
This cornbread batter can easily be adapted to add whatever flavours or ingredients with accompany your meal. If you’re going southwest, toss some jalapeno slices into the batter, stir in shredded cheese, or add peach slices to give it some sweet appeal.
Country Cornbread with Black Beans
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Makes one loaf, cake or 10 muffins
- 250ml/1C cornmeal
- 250ml/1C all purpose flour
- 30ml/2 tbsp sugar
- 15ml/1 tbsp baking powder
- 5ml/1 tsp salt
- 2.5ml/1/2 tsp baking soda
- 295ml/1 1/4C buttermilk
- 30ml/2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk, separated
- 250ml/1 C black beans (or substitute of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 225C/425F.
- Mix together dry ingredients and create a well in the middle.
- In a separate bowl, beat together ingredients, then incorporate into dry ingredients.
- Butter cake pan or muffin tins and spoon in batter.
- Bake until golden brown on the bottom, and a knife slipped into the middle comes out clean of any wet batter. Eat it while it’s hot, lathered in butter.